Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dying on the Inside

Have you ever thought about how many people love you? Sounds like a pretty weird question, right? I'm not talking about love as in the "feeling" - I mean the love that IS. The love that has no condition which defines its depth.

I shared in my last post how God is continuing to break my heart for the same things that break His. And I'll be honest, it has been a completely overwhelming and burdensome experience. But lately, the faces of those I come in contact with are not just faces anymore... as soon as my eyes meet theirs, compassion overflows in the depths of my heart. How many times do we overlook those who are dying inside? - because that is exactly what takes place in the hearts of unsaved souls. We are oblivious to what is going on in their life, and at times we could care less. Is this the love that Christ showed to sinners - mockers, thieves, murderers, tax collectors, prostitutes?

For some odd reason, my mind has convinced me that I have the right to judge these people. And guess what? It's wrong. JJ Heller's new single, "What Love Really Means" brought me to tears the first time I listened to it (thankfully, no one was in the car). But the song tells 3 stories of individuals whose lives are falling apart and we're told that these people have never experienced what love really is. I've got news for ya.. you pass at least 5 people who are experiencing this same sadness and loneliness - who are dying on the inside.

When we think about the love that Christ showed us on the cross - beaten, mocked, whipped, spit on, and killed FOR US - how could we be so selfish to keep it for ourselves? WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING IT AWAY? We are called to share Christ's love with people who are dying on the inside, those are craving a love that lasts, a love that is unconditional. They're crying, "Who will love me for me? Not for what I have done, or what I will become. Who will love me for me? Cause NOBODY has shown me what love really means."

SDG

2 comments:

Mia said...

Oh Emily, how I love you. You almost brought tears to my eyes with your comment. You are an inspiration to ME. YOUR love for God is so evident, and inspiring to me. I couldn't be more thankful for God bringing you into my life.

I love this post. I bought my mom the JJ Heller CD with this song on it for her birthday, and it's become a family favorite. I too have felt the same way about people I pass by. I want to work on taking the time to share Christ's love with others. Whether it be on the airplane, at the grocery store, on the street, or in a foreign country. Wherever God calls me.

I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Love,

~M

Mia said...

p.s. I keep trying to follow your blog, but it always brings up an error message! You might want to think about putting up a follower list thingy. (lol.. lovely choice of words there) I know I'd appreciate it, because I could follow you! :)